We recommend that all bikes intended for use at the Lumberyard Bike Park be checked for proper function prior to arrival to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for the rider. Please check your ride against this handy bike check list.
Verify Bike Function:
- Chain free of rust and well lubricated (if it squeaks, oil it)
- Chain is sufficiently tight and does not fall off under use.
- All bolts are tight (handlebars, stem, cranks, seat post, etc).
- Frame and fork are straight, aligned and without visible damage
- Wheels, cranks and pedals spin freely
- Wheels are true (not warped/wobbling) and spokes are evenly tensioned
- No side-to-side play with wheels or cranks
- Tires have sufficient pressure (indicated on tire sidewall), tread and sidewall integrity
- Smooth back-and-forth movement in handlebars
- If geared, run through all of them to ensure shift function
- Verify that suspension parts function and spring back when compressed
- Brakes stop rider effectively
- Brake pads have plenty of wear left
- Check brake/shifter cables and housing for proper condition
What to Look for in Fitting a Bike for the Park:
- Frame size is appropriate for age, weight and skill of rider.
- Rider can stand over bike frame with feet on the ground (~1” clearance below crotch)
- Rider can touch the ground with at least one foot while seated on bike
- Seat is low and out of way (most riders stand on pedals here)
- Brake lever reach is appropriate for rider (check reach adjustment, if available)
We Recommend Removing Extra Accessories:
- Kick stands
- Handle bar mounted bike bells and lights
- Bike Racks
Bring Safety Gear (helmets and pads can be rented):
- Helmets are required, (full face helmet or mouth guard recommended)
- Arm and leg pads recommended
- Biking gloves recommended
- Appropriate rubber soled athletic shoes